Tuesday 26 April 2011

Did I ever mention the future?

Where is the most exciting place on the planet?
The future.
I'm almost tedious in my belief in the future. Anyone who has spoken to me about the future has recieved the tidal wave of opinions and ideas and my general enthusiasm. The thing is the future is up for grabs, it hasn't happened yet and as time passes it can solidify your ambitions.
I'm lucky enough to work in the video-game industry. I've been playing games at home since the mid eighties. Things have changed and not in a predictable way. Every a new generation of machines pops up the game changes. I love that, I welcome the changes and I embrace the future. I can imagine the things that havn't happened yet and let me tell you 'games' are going to be massive. Not just selling millions or having millions of players but actually have cultural significance. The important thing is that we are still at the start of gaming. Its an on-going story and the future isn't set.
If you buy games, play games or make games you have a chance to shape the future and experience things beyond your imagination.
Technology drives our industry. If you give us more power, or better graphics, motion control, improved sound, rumble, plastic guitars or cloud storage we can use them. We build, we innovate and we push forward. We do this because gaming isn't all it can be yet. So while it seems like the best games are made and the story is all sewn up, that is so very far from the truth. More will come and it won't be the way you think.
Not very secretly I'd like to pushing for the future. I want our industry to be more than it is. I want games to be important to everyone, just as music or movies are. (By the way, games ARE NOT movies or music, so really we shouldn't treat them the same way). The future sends electricity up my spine. It gives me energy and I want to channel that back in and make something amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment